Friday, September 10, 2010

Chrisette Michele - I'm a Star

For the first few seconds of this song, I'm thinkin "yes, this is gonna be tough!" I was kinda wrong though.  This song is quite soft and sweet.  Is Chrisette going for a more pop feel on this upcoming album?  Well this new single, "I'm a Star," leads me to believe so.  The lyrics are cool and the music is nice.  Actually the song has some great musical elements - the intro, the "seen it, done it" part and her vocals, of course. But I'm expecting Chrisette to pour more soul into the mix on the other songs from her currently untitled album.

I REALLY hope Chrisette doesn't pull an Alicia Keys on us - by that I mean trade in her jazzy, gritty sound for a polished, more mainstream sound.  Her old world vocals are what captivated me - I first heard her sing the hook on Nas's "Can't Forget About You."  I was like, "Whoa!! Who's that singing?!"

I eventually listened to both of her studio albums.  I absolutely love all of the songs on Chrisette Michele's I Am, especially "Love is You," "Your Joy," "Like a Dream," and "Let's Rock."  I liked the majority of songs on Epiphany - "What You Do" is still stuck in my head.  Hopefully, she reverses her minimally declining track record with the upcoming album.

I recently saw Chrisette, along with Tamia, Mario, Salt, and Rick Ross, perform at Summerstage at Central Park on August 28, 2010.  Seeing and hearing...scratch that...EXPERIENCING Chrisette live is truly a delicacy.  Its yummy to the senses>>hearing her do all this crazy vocal work, seeing way she moves her hands, squints her eyes, bends down as she belts out - her mannerisms remind me of Etta James, whom she has studied.

Watching a lady with such prowess and passion is awe-inspiring.  I'm looking forward to hearing more from Chrisette and experiencing her in concert again.  I believe that she is a legend in the making.  As long as she keeps her focus and remains true to her soul [music].

No comments: